Memorial Day weekend is coming up and that marks the start of the summer travel season. Many of us will be heading out of town for a long weekend of fun. Before you go, take a few moments to do a security check of your home, so the fun doesn’t end in misfortune. Here are some tips to keep your home safe and secure while you’re gone:
- Put interior lights on timers so they come on at dusk. Make sure exterior lights are on timers or motion sensors.
- Leave window coverings in a normal use position. Your house should not look closed up. Be sure no one can see into rooms with expensive items, such as a home office with computer equipment.
- Have a neighbor pick up any newspapers left outside your house.
- Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway so it looks as though someone is home. If you’re leaving your own car in the driveway, be sure your garage door opener isn’t in the car.
- If you have a home alarm system, use it. Make sure the company alarm shield is clearly visible in front of your house.
- Don’t hide a spare key outside your house. Thieves know where to look, so your “secret” hiding place will eventually be found. Leave a spare key with a trusted neighbor instead.
- Don’t announce your departure on your voicemail or on social media.
- Do a check around the outside of your house to be sure no one can hide in shrubs outside a window.
Finally, lock all windows and doors, including the door from the garage into the house. Put a bar in slider tacks or use a lock with an insertion pin. Double check the gates to your back yard are locked.
Now you can focus on having a great trip!